Saturday, 29 August 2009
Coastal Hiking 2
Did you know that there is about 7300 km of coastline in Denmark, and only about 3200 km in Sweden? Now Denmark has many Islands so the amount of coastline is not surprising and for those that are wondering the length of coastline does not include Greenland or the Faroe Islands.
So both Denmark and Sweden have many coastal regions to explore and the question is where. Some of the options include
1. The North Sea Trail a collection of trails in many countries that border the North Sea. The website is well worth a look as the amount of detail provided is ideal for the independent hiker.
My options for the first coastal walk are
2. Österlenleden most likely from Ystad to Skillinge (I need to choose a time when the Kabusa Artillery Range is not in use)
3. Kullen with its well known lighthouse
4. In Denmark there is the trails along the West coast of Jutland (a PDF file), which form part of the North Sea Trail, well worth a visit if you are in the area.
5. Or closer to home there is Tsvilde Hegn and the coast along Kattegat
After careful consideration and studying transport timetables (as well as artillery practice in Sweden) it seems that option 4 is the best at this time. The trip will provide ideal preparation for a longer trip in October in Northern Jylland
The photo was taken on Rømø, near the German border with Denmark.